Parish History

All Souls Parish has been an icon in the City of South San Francisco from the moment of its inception from 1898. The Parish and the parishioners have seen the city develop and expand by leaps and bounds. Chapters after Chapters have been written in the annals of history witnessing and validating the important and proud mile stones in the City.

One can imagine the expanse of time that has been covered from that year till date: The Parish of All Souls has celebrated its First Centenery. Inorder to highlight this mile stone, the historians of the Parish have proposed that we split the Parish History in two sections: 

History 1898 - 1998 

A CENTURY OF CATHOLIC FAITH: 1898 – 1998 AND MORE

Prior to 1898

  • South San Francisco was part of St. Matthew’s Parish (San Mateo). Father James Cooper came from St. Matthew’s Church to celebrate Mass.
  • Masses were held in various places: a justices’ court building, Pioneer Hall, Hansborough Hall, Michenfelder’s Hall, Michenfelder’s priests who came in these early years were Father Lane and Father Bertola. Transportation was by horse and buggy.

1898

  • The Catholic Church in South San Francisco became officially known as a mission of St. Michael’s Parish in San Francisco (Ocean View District).

1899

  • Fund raising began for a church building.

1902

  • The mission church of St. Michael’s, Ocean View (San Francisco) was constructed at the corner of California and Linden Avenues. The cost of building the church was $3,500. The South San Francisco Land and Improvement Company donated the land, Healy Lumber Yard furnished the lumber and the bricks were contributed by the Butler Brick Company. The church had a capacity of 200 people.

1911

  • The city of South San Francisco installed sidewalks at the property owner’s expense. A group of concerned parishioners, businessmen and city figures contributed $5.00 per concrete block to cover the cost of the sidewalk gracing the front of the mission church. In return, their names were imbedded in the cement blocks.

1913

  • Father James P. Moran was appointed the first resident pastor and gave the Catholic community, now a parish, its official title of All Souls Catholic Church. By Christmas time, the Church had been enlarged.

1914

  • Building repairs were paid for in a year!

1915

  • The Miller and Walnut Avenue site was selected for a new larger church. The linden Avenue site of the original mission church and $700 in cash were accepted as the purchase price for the new location.

  • On October 30, 1915, All Souls’ original Church was moved to its second home site of the new property and became a parish hall.

1916

  • Construction on the new church began early in the year and was completed in November. The complete building complex cost $26,000.

  • San Francisco Archbishop Edward J. Hanna dedicated the new church, rectory, and hall on December 16.

  • The Parish numbered 200 families, the majority of which were from an Irish American background.

1917

  • Sister of the Holy Family arrived at All Souls to start catechism classes traveling from Hayes Street in San Francisco on the Market Street Railway #40 twice a week.

1918-1925

  • An endless number of fund raising events: with parties, tours, dinners, benefit baseball games annual bazaars, raffles, dances, minstrel shows, musicals, candy sales, box lunch socials, and holiday parties were held in an endeavor to reduce the church debt. These activities not only raised funds but also became vehicles to further cement relationships among the parishioners.

  • The Italian Catholic Federation #7 received its charter.

  • The Santo Christo Society (Portugese families) was formally organized.

1927

  • In April, Father Moran was transferred to St. Thomas the Apostle Church in San Francisco. Father James Delahunty arrived from Cotati to be the second pastor. Father James Walsh was assigned as the first assistant pastor.

1928-1932

  • Succeeding assistant pastors were Fathers Denis Barry, Daniel McAllister and Edward Cushnahan. They along with the Holy Family Sisters ably assisted the pastor in guiding the parishioners through the Great Depression. The Sisters conducted summer school classes in sewing, art, handicrafts and sports.

1933

  • All Souls sporting activities (baseball and CYO swimming meets) became popular.

1934

  • 800 families were registered in the parish. The largest ethnic group being Italian, with lesser numbers from Portugese and Mexican backgrounds. The Irish were now the smallest ethnic group.

1936

  • Father Delahunty did of a mastoid infection on July 15 at the age of 53. Father Edward Cushnahan was in charge of the parish until September.

  • Father Maurice O’Keefe, a native Californian, arrived from Palo Alto to become the third pastor.

  • Father Maisano served as Assistant pastor.

1940

  • Father O’ Keefe was transferred to Church of the Epiphany in San Francisco.

  • In October, Monsignor Egisto Tozzi arrived as the new pastor with Father Patrick Egan as his assistant. Msgr. Tozzi’s prior chaplain experience at San Quentin Prison and his campaign for the needy in Europe made him especially valuable to the war effort. He was a volunteer worker on the local War Price and Rationing Board and his success in collection clothing and canned food for the needy was outstanding.

1943

  • The property at Miller and Spruce Avenues became available. A group of parishioners, aided by civic leaders raised the down payment, making it possible for All Souls to continue its growth.

1944

  • A lovely replica of Notre Dame de Lourdes was built to grace the side garden and courtyard or the church. Msgr. Tozzi directed most of this project with the help of his ICF members and Father Egan.

1945

  • An Historic Bell, cast in 1724 and belonging to the chain of early California Missions, was given to the church and installed at the door leading into the Main Altar from the sacristy, thereby announcing the entry of each celebrant as he came into the sanctuary.

  • CDA Court Infant of Prague organized.

1946

  • Father Edward Varni became Assistant Pastor.

  • The Young Men’s Institute #32 was chartered.

1949

  • In January, groundbreaking ceremonies took place for a badly needed parochial school on the corner of Miller and Spruce Avenue. The Cost of $400,000 was raised by a subscription drive and various social activities.

  • The sisters of the Holy Family left after devoting thirty-five years to the development of All Souls. The Parish owed them a tremendous debt of gratitude.

  • The still existing little mission church of 1902 vintage, graduated from its parish hall status to that of a convent to house the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. They arrived from Southern California to staff the new school. Sister Mary Victoria, HIM was the first principal.

  • The school opened on September 6, 1949 with kindergarten through fourth grade in session. Additional grades were added each of the following years with a full k-8 school envisioned for 1953.

  • San Francisco Archbishop John J. Mitty officially dedicated and blessed the school on September 28.

1950

  • The All Souls Mothers' Club became the nucleus of many fundraising projects generating fabulous social and economic results.

  • The All Souls Fathers' Club followed in a short time with their chief goal being to provide for the athletic program of the school.

  • The population of South San Francisco approached 30,000 and parish boundaries changed with the founding of St. Veronica’s Parish in the Brentwood area. The dividing line became the #40 streetcar line. The areas known as Los Cerritos, Francisco Terrace, all areas west of El Camino Real and north of Sneath Lane to the Skyline became St. Veronica’s Parish.

1952

  • Father Varni left for St. Charles Parish in San Francisco. Father John O’Beirne became the new assistant.

1954

  • Father Robert Coffey arrived as the new Assistant Pastor.

1955

  • The All Souls Catholic School enrollment reached 450 students with a waiting list of 600 students. Also a $200,000 indebtedness remained on the school.

  • Msgr. Tozzi observed his Golden Jubilee in June. This was the centerpiece for a $200,000 fund raising program called “Sacrifice for a Sacrifice”, spearheaded by some one hundred parish committee members under the leadership of retired businessman and civic leader, B.J. Rodondi. This marvelous campaign managed to liquidate the school debt.

1957

  • All Souls Parish and School was visited by the Apostolic Delegate to the United States of America

  • Sr. Anton, HIM became Principal of the parochial school.

1958

  • Students from All Souls School participated in South San Francisco’s Golden Jubilee parade on Grand Avenue, South San Francisco.

1959

  • Sister Anton, working within the guidelines of the Confraternity of Christine Doctrine, formed the Saint Pius X School of Religion for public school children. The program grew rapidly and in a few years, had 1200 students enrolled. All Souls Junior Sodality, a group of high school girls, was formed.

1960

  • Father Thomas McMahon arrived as the new Assistant Pastor.

1961

  • A third parish, Mater Dolorosa, was carved out of the boundaries of both All Souls’ and St. Veronica’s Parishes. The dividing line for this new parish was Chestnut Avenue north.

  • On October 11, Msgr. Tozzi died while on a short vacation to Yosemite. Countless clergy, civic leaders, All Souls parishioners, and school children came to pay him homage. He personally knew six popes and received private audiences with four of them. He had also been presented with the Italian government’s highest civilian decoration, the Star of Solidarity.

  • Father Eugene A. Gallagher, a native of Oakland, arrived in November to become the fifth pastor.

1962

  • Father Gallagher was appointed Papal Chamberlain by Pope John XXIII thereby gaining the title of Monsignor.

  • New liturgies and greater lay participation, as per Vatican II, were put into practice.

  • Father Anthony Matacin became the new Assistant Pastor.

  • Sr. Charlene Tschirhart, SSS joined staff as Parish Sister.

1963

  • From data gained in a poll of parishioners, the need for expanded religious opportunities for adults was discovered. Accordingly, Lay Theologian, Mr. Gene Urbik, joined the parish staff.

  • The Grand Avenue property was purchased for future expansion.

  • Adult study groups formed to discuss the new documents generated from Vatican II.

  • Sister Michelle, HIM became new school Principal.

  • The Spanish Committee was formed.

1964

  • April 22 – The church and rectory burned to the ground. Only the Portugese Santo Christo statue and the replica of the Lourdes grotto remained standing.

  • April 30- The new parish offices opened at 452 Grand Avenue. The Immaculate Heart Sister occupied another of the Grand Avenue bungalows.

  • Masses were held in the School Cafeteria, the school Library, the South San Francisco Women’s Club Building, and the State Theatre.

  • June- the fire ruins are cleared by wreckers and haulers.

  • A fund raising project is formulated with FD “Dick” Minucciani as General Chairman.

  • Fr. Louis Facchino arrived.

  • John and Pat Stibor arrived as adult Choir Director and Organist respectively.

1965

  • Plans for the new All Souls Parish Plant, a million dollar complex, were reviewed by Archbishop McGucken and architect Roger Ranuio. The Church with a seating capacity of 950 embodied all the changes suggested by Vatican II and would occupy the high corner of the site on Miller and Walnut Avenue; a new convent for the Immaculate Heart Sisters would be located between the new church and school; the priests' rectory together with meeting rooms and areas for parish activities would be built facing Grand Avenue.

  • December 18 – Ground breaking ceremonies take place for the new buildings.

1966

  • October 31 – Priest and office staff moved into the new office/rectory

  • November 3 – The Immaculate Heart Sisters moved into the new convent.

  • Sister Julie, HIM became new school Principal.

1968

  • February 28 – The first Masses were held in the lower hall under the nave of the new church.

  • March 24 – The upper church was opened for services.

  • The 12 noon Mass in Spanish became part of the new schedule of Masses.

  • Sister Anton, HIM employed as Parish Sister

  • Father John Kelly of Serra High School rendered assistance at weekend Masses.

  • Geared to lay involvement, the birth of the Parish Council, Parish Finance Committee, and the Parish School Board took place resulting in study groups, home Masses, discussions, catechist formation and religious instructions in the sacramental programs for parents and children.

  • A Spanish choir was formed under the direction of A1 Mosqueda.

  • The All Souls Mothers' Club name was changed to the All Souls Women’s Club.

  • The Legion of Mary was formed.

  • The celebration of Our Lady of Guadalupe took place in the new Church.

  • December 18 – Msgr. Gallagher celebrated his 25th anniversary to the priesthood. A Mass of Thanksgiving and a reception in his honor were held.

1969

  • February 16 – Archbishop Joseph McGucken formally blessed the new Church, Convent, Parish Hall and Rectory.

1970

  • Father William Justice and Father James Purcell were named new Assistant Pastors replacing Father Ma and Father Facchino who were both transferred to San Francisco.

1971

  • Father Donald Kelly succeeded Father Purcell as Assistant Pastor.

1972

  • Msgr. Gallagher was appointed Prelate of Honor by Pope Paul VI.

  • The New Family of God Program was born at All Souls.

  • The HIM Sisters vacated the convent.

  • The Parish Convent was rented to the Religious of the Sacred Heart for use as their Provincial House.

  • The parochial school was staffed by an all lay faculty with Sister Julie, HIM as principal.

1973

  • The Seventy- fifth Jubilee of Catholicism in South San Francisco was celebrated.

  • Fr. John Martin, MM arrived.

1974

  • Girl greeters were included in Eucharistic celebrations.

  • Msgr. Gallagher was transferred to Saint Mathias Parish in Redwood City.

  • Father Charles Durkin, a San Francisco native, was assigned as the sixth pastor.

  • Sr. Anton was assigned “Parish Sister” to St. Peter’s in Pacifica.

  • Bro. Michael Kelly became Principal of parochial school.

1975

  • Rev. Mr. Jerome Leach assigned to parish for his deaconate year.

  • Fr. John Martin, MM left.

  • Richard Davis, Choir Director/Organist, joined staff.

1976

  • Fr. William Maring, SJ., became a permanent weekend associate.

  • Rev. Mr. Jerome Leach was ordained a priest and assigned to another parish.

  • Fr. Bill Justice transferred to St. Paul’s Parish, San Francisco.

  • Fr. Filemon Ojeda assigned as Assistant Pastor.

1977

  • Fr. John Issacs appointed Assistant Pastor.

1978

  • Formation of the senior group “Club Outlook”

  • Congressman Leo Ryan’s funeral, gaining national television coverage, was held at All Souls.

1979

  • Fr. Mel Rempke was in residence.

  • Fr. Issacs left for St. James Parish in San Francisco.

  • Fr. Gordon joined the Parish staff.

  • Installation of the altar crucifix – a gift from the ICF.

1980

  • Fr. Durkin observed his 25th Silver Jubilee.

1982

  • Rev. Michael Reis was in residence.

  • Dedication of historical sidewalk on September 26, in conjunction with the SSF Historical Society and the City of South San Francisco. The sidewalk blocks originally laid 1911 at the Linden Avenue site of the first church (1902) were moved to the Walnut/Miller Avenue site.

  • Raquel Mora took over direction of the Spanish Choir.

  • Sr. Mary B. Flaherty, RSCJ joins staff as Parish Sister.

1983

  • Fr. Gary Thomas ordained for the San Jose Diocese on December 3.

  • Fr. Gary Thomas celebrated his first Mass at All Souls on December 4.

  • All Souls Day Masses for deceased City and School employees initiated.

1984

  • Sr. Flaherty, RSCJ observed her Silver Jubilee.

1985

  • Fr. Durkin celebrated 30 years of priesthood

  • Two missing names of the historic sidewalk (Sands and Bissett) were added.

  • Sr. Mary B. Flaherty, RSCJ left to be Chancellor of the SF Archdiocese. She was the first woman in the 132- year history of the Archdiocese to hold this high ranking post.

  • Religious of the Sacred Heart left parish convent after 13 years.

  • Fr. Gordon left.

  • Fr. Edward Higgins was in residence.

  • Fr. Lawrence Goode joined the staff.

  • Capuchin Fathers became new tenants of the Convent.

1986

  • Fr. Higgins celebrated his 50th jubilee.

  • Fr. Kevin Corrigan was in residence.

  • Fr. Durkin left on October 19 for St. Elizabeth’s Parish in San Francisco after 12 years as Pastor. A farewell dinner was held on October 24.

  • Fr. Michael Healy from St. Bartholomew’s in San Mateo was assigned as the seventh pastor and was installed on January 11, 1987.

1987

  • Fr. Lawrence Goode left on February 1, 1987

  • Fr. Fabio Medina joined the staff.

  • Bro. Michael Kelly, Principal of the parochial school, left on June 6.

  • Pope John Paul II made an historic visit to San Francisco in October.

  • Eileen Gorman was chosen to head the parochial school.

1989

  • Parochial school observed its 40th Anniversary.

  • YMI presented “Our Lady Grotto” in convent area.

  • Fr. Durkin, former pastor, elevated to the rank of 'Monsignor'.

  • Renew groups prepared to start weekly meetings in October.

  • Msgr. John Pernia became Associate Pastor.

  • Christian Stibor became director of the Spanish Choir.

1990

  • Fr. Healy observed his 20th Anniversary.

  • RICA process started.

1991

  • Fr. Healy left for St. Phillip’s Parish in San Francisco.

  • Fr. Medina left for the Modesto area.

  • All Souls welcomed the return of Fr. William Justice as the eighth pastor.

  • Maureen Galeotti joined staff as CCD Director.

1992

  • Sr. Martha Vega, SSS joined as Pastoral Assistant.

  • Spanish youth group, “Juventud con Cristo”, Formed.

  • Deacon Paul Moriarty assisted at Eucharistic celebration.

  • Renew groups reorganized into Small Christian Communities.

  • Fr. Jerome Leach joined parish staff.

  • Theresa Rowbathan joined staff as choir Director/Organist in October.

  • Sunday Family Mass (9:00 a.m.) initiated.

  • Msgr. Pernia observed his 35th anniversary in March.

  • Parish Finance Committee began.

1993

  • Fr. Justice observed his Silver Jubilee in May.

  • All Souls Kapisanang (A.S.K.) Pilipino – the Filipino group was organized.

  • Msgr. John Pernia left in November.

  • Maryknoll Fathers became our Parish new convent tenants in June.

  • Fr. Randy Calvo, Judicial Vicar of the Archdiocese and Head of the Marriage Tribunal, was in residence.

  • Fr. Agustin Escalante arrived in the Parish.

1994

  • Jubilee Year – All Souls Church observed the 25th anniversary of the third Church building with a year long special sacramental anniversaries climaxed by a gala dinner/dance.

  • ASK Pilipino group initiated annual celebration of the feast of San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila.

  • Seminarian Barry Thornton started one year assignment during which a youth group, Youth on Unity (Y.O.U), was stared.

  • Guadalupe Society was initiated.

1995

  • CCD enrollment hit 500 plus.

  • Eileen Gorman, school principal, earned a doctorate in education from USF.

  • Fr. Maring celebrated his 50th anniversary of ordination.

  • Marlena Griffith joined parish staff as part – time youth minister.

  • San Francisco Archbishop William Levada celebrated a special Mass on All Souls Parish Feast Day (November 2) with reception following in in the Parish Hall.

  • Alex Aragon ordained as Deacon and joined parish staff.

  • Attractive new signs installed outside of church advertising times and days of services.

  • Seminarian Eric Macatuno arrived to serve his year of pastoral service.

  • Shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe was dedicated.

1996

  • Church acquired a new look – a red carpet.

  • Parish Pastoral Council began.

1997

  • Fr. Escalante left for San Rafael.

  • Fr. Joseph Bradley spent short six months as Associate Pastor before going to St. Vincent de Paul, San Francisco.

 

1998

  • Fr. Rafael de Avila became new associate in January.

  • First meeting of the Centennial Committee held on March 5th.

  • Sr. Martha Vega, SSS left for an assignment in Southern California in June.

  • 'Wald Science Laborotary' for the Parochial school was dedicated.

  • Renew 2000 began in October.

  • Parish School prepares for 50th year Anniversary in 1999.

  • Casa Maryknoll ended a five-year residency and moved on to Chicago.

  • Parish celebrated 100 years of formal Catholic presence in South San Francisco. Most Rev. William Levada presided at this centennial Mass. Fr. Bill Justice, Fr. Rafael De Avila, Fr. William Maring and Msgr. Charles Durkin were concelebrants. Following the Mass there was a gala reception at the South San Francisco Convention center.

  • RENEW 2000 is initiated with the formation of Small Christian Communities in the Parish.

 

History 1999 - Present

1999

  • Archdiocesan wide Capital Campaign, “Today’s Students, Tomorrow’s Leaders” was initiated. The campaign goal was $ 155,800 with efforts to make the extra $100,000.00 that would go directly to All Souls’ Parish School.

  • All Souls Women’s Club organized their 50th Annual Fashion Show and Luncheon to mark “Celebrating 50 Years of their service” to the Parish of All Souls. The event was celebrated on March 6, 1999 in the Embassy Suites Hotel in South San Francisco.

2003

  • Parish debt incurred for the construction of All Souls Church is paid in full.

  • Rev. Fr. William Justice is transferred as Pastor of Mission Dolores in San Francisco, on July 01, 2003.

  • Rev. Fr. Agnel De Heredia is appointed as the new Pastor of All Souls Church on July 1, 2003

  • Archbishop William Joseph Levada installs Rev. Agnel De Heredia as the 9th Pastor of All Souls’ Church on September 14, 2003.

  • All Souls’ Parish registers its Domain name: www.Allsoulschurchssf.org. The Parish begins the Internet service for wider communication with the Parish office Staff, the Parish School office Staff and the Parish Religious Education office staff et all.

  • Sesquicentennial Year of our Archdiocese of San Francisco: 1853-2003: Celebrating the 150 years of Proclaiming the Good News to All Creation. Most Rev. William J. Levada presided over at a special Mass on July 17 at the Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption, San Francisco, at 3:30pm marking the 150 years of the founding of the Archdiocese of San Francisco.

  • The Archdiocese of San Francisco marked the “100 years of Filipino Presence” in the Archdiocese and the greater Bay Area.

2004

  • Inception of “Stewardship Council” in our Parish of All Souls, on June 8, 2004, for oversight, restoration, repair, maintenance, constant upkeep, and preserve the rich heritage of All Souls Faith Community, be it in the areas of Spirituality, history, values, education, and advancement of our traditions.The Stewardship Council embarked upon the campaign of “Fixing God’s House”.

  • Rev. Fr. Ken Weare is transferred to St. Rita’s Church in Fairfax on July 1, 2004.

  • Rev. Fr. Elmer Magat is appointed as the new parochial vicar of All Souls Parish effective from July 1, 2004.

2005

  • Installed Four brand new energy efficient Heating Furnaces in the Parish Hall at the cost of $ 13,549.00. The contractor was LIVCO Heating & Sheet Metal Inc., San Francisco.

  • Rev. Fr. Agnel De Heredia celebrates his 25th anniversary of his ordination to the Priesthood, on May 1, 2005.

  • School secretaries Mrs. Gloria Raffaelli and Mrs. Nancy Bartoli retire from their positions after many years of service to All Souls School.

  • Rev. Fr. Santos Rodriguez is transferred as a parochial vicar to Church of Epiphany in San Francisco on July 1, 2005.

  • Rev. Fr. Alejandro Valle is appointed as the new parochial vicar here, effective from July 1, 2005.

  • Rev. Fr. Alejandro Valle leaves for Mexico in August 2005.

  • Rev. Eduardo Mendoza is appointed as the parochial vicar of All Souls Parish effective from November 1, 2005.

  • Archbishop William Joseph Levada leaves for the Vatican City on his appointment as the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.

  • Archbishop George H. Niederauer is appointed by the Holy See as the new Archbishop of San Francisco.

  • His Eminence William Cardinal Joseph Levada receives the Red Hat and is made a Cardinal at the consistory presided by the Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI.

2006

  • The Stewardship Committee adopting the campaign “Fixing God’s House” completed and paid for the brand new roof with green technology on the Church(replacing the old one which was leaking). The Parish hired Daniel M. Sullivan of the Hirsch Consulting Group to draw up the required specifications and supervise the roofing work for its compliance. The contractors were: Safway Services, Scaffolding, Burlingame and 'Blue's Roofing Company' of San Jose, CA. The cost of the New Roof was $ 385,200.53.

  • The Parish Team of All Souls, embarked upon the task of restructuring the Bingo Team and its operation.

  • Mr. Michael Balboa is appointed as the Director of the Religious Education Program in the Parish.

  • Rev. Mr. Deacon Alex Aragon is transferred to Mater Dolorosa Church in South San Francisco, CA.

2007

  • Installation of four Brand New Furnaces for the Church Heating at the cost of $ 30,680.00. The contractor was LIVCO Heating & Sheet Metal, Inc., San Francisco, CA.

  • Dr. Eilleen Goreman retires as Principal and Ms. Jody Bergmans retires as the Vice-principal of All Souls’ School.

  • A Resource Committee is formed to help support the Pastor in his pastoral and management areas.

  • Mr. Vincent Riener is appointed as the new Principal of All Souls’ School.

  • Ms. Karen Johansen is appointed as the Vice-Principal of All Souls’ School.

  • Rev. Fr. Elmer Magat is transferred to Star of the Sea Parish in San Francisco on June 30, 2007.

  • Rev. Arsenio G. Cirera is appointed as the new parochial Vicar for All Souls Church, effective from July 1, 2007.

2008

  • A Brand New Sound System installed in the Church at the cost of $ 21,545.50. The Contractor was 'San Francisco Audio', San Francisco, CA.

  • New Computer systems installed to expand, develop and enhance the School Computer Science laboratory.

  • Renovation and installation of two brand new power-assist toilets in the Church Restrooms.

  • Mr. Michael Balboa on completion of his three year commitment, steps down from the position of Director of Religious Education Program.

  • Mr. Ben Villa is appointed as the New Religious Education director for one year term beginning from August 2008.

  • All Souls School inaugurates new signage facing the Grand Avenue, Spruce Avenue, and Miller Avenue, in the North, South, East and West directions.

2009

  • New Trenchless Sewer lines installed in the Church grounds connecting the Convent, Church, Hall, Parish Office and Rectory buildings at the cost of $ 37,695.00. The contractor was 'Smelly Mel's Plumbing, Inc.' South San Francisco, CA.

  • New Telephone Nortel System with digital extensions installed in the Parish office, connecting the Parish office with the Rectory, School of All Souls as well as office of Religious Education.

  • Rev. Fr. Arsenio Cirera is transferred on July 01, in the same capacity as parochial vicar to the Church of Immaculate Conception in Belmont, California.

  • Church Maintenance, Repairs & Restoration Committee established. They meet every Thursday and proactively attend to the repairs and on-going maintenance of the Church pews, kneelers hardware machanisms and wood work. The Church kneelers are all uphostered with new foam and covers at the cost of $ 15,000.00. May God continue to bless them for their dedicated work.

  • The Parish launched a new website with the domain name: www.Allsoulschurchssf.org

  • Installed a brand new energy efficient Hydronic RayPak Boiler system for All Souls School at the cost of $78,022.00. The contractor was Priubus Engineering, South San Francico, CA.

  • Mr. Michael Balboa is re-appointed as the Religious Education Director beginning from August 2009.

2010

  • The long awaited work on the Repairs and Restoration of the Exterior Walls of our Church was finally undertaken: The Parish hired Steven Granieri of the SMG Consulting, Soouth San Francisco, to make a comprehensive structural diagnosis of the exterior walls of the Church and draw up specifications for the repairs and supervise the work on the repairs for its compliance. The contractor was Ted Mayer, of the CAWC Water proffing and Restoration, Burlingame. It included meticulous work on the Stained Glass Circular (Cross Shapped designed) Windows Perimeter Sealant and Wall Penetrations; Anti-rust treatment and rust containment application, the Spall and Concrete Repairs; Dryvitt Top Coat Application and Clear Sealer Installation. The total cost was $ 100,444.00. The Parish Bulletin presented a new photograph showing the restoration work on the Church building. You can compare the new look of the Church building with the old looks of the building, and see the remarkable difference.

  • Father Agnel De Heredia celebrated the 30th anniversary of his ordination to Priesthood on May 1, 2010. A party was hosted in honor of Father Agnel, and the dinner proceeds went towards "Fixing God's House" projects.

  • The Parish Hall kitchen was remodeled. It is designed with a granite top, wooden cabinets, brand new stove and oven and tile floor at the cost of $ 8,358.19. It has a new look after 40 plus years.

  • Rev. Fr. Bonifacio Espeleta is appointed as the parochial vicar to All Souls Parish effective from July 01, 2010.

  • Restoration work on the exterior frames of the Big Stained Glass windows of the Baptistry of the Church completed. Anti-Rust treatment, replacement of the steel fastening plates and painting to match the windows of the Church. Mr. Manuel Contreras completed at the cost of $ 4,000.00

  • All Souls Pre-School: work in progress...... plans in various stages of discernment to weigh in the possibilities of remodelling the interior of the Parish Convent building, its cost, and affordability... Once we overcome these challenges, then comes the work of putting together the mechanism of hiring a Director and designing the program, licensing process etc.

  • A study on the Acoustics of the Church is undertaken ... in order to minimize and if possible eliminate noise and distortion of sound, and maximize clarity and fidelity.

  • A new grotto of our Lady of Guadalupe is built: This time with the present statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe together with a new statue of San Juan Diego. Rev. Agnel De Heredia blessed this grotto on December 12, 2010.

2011

  • The Interior Painting of the Church: the acoustic ceiling, the confessionals, the Baptistry, the restrooms and the sacristy areas was completed at the cost of $ 56,000.00. Thanks to 'Fixing God's House' campaign. The Contractors: Y.k. Scaffold Company, San Francisco, and DeMartini & Arnott Painting, Burlingame, CA. Mr. Manuel Contreras supervised the the project.

  • Rev. Fr. Eduardo Mendoza is transfered on July 01, as a Parochial Vicar to the Church of the Visitation in San Francisco.

  • Rev. Fr. Bonifacio Espeleta is transfered on July 01, as a Parochial Vicar to the Church of St. Andrew in Daly City, California.

  • Rev. Fr. William Paul O'Dell is appointed as the new Parochial Vicar to the Parish of All Souls effective from July 01, 2011.

  • A brand new roof was installed on the Parish Office-Rectory building at the cost of $ 34,070.00. The Contractor for the job was Mr. Roofing Inc., At that time the Roof was fitted with Three Metal Halide 400 Watt fixtures to light up the Parish grounds at night.

2012

  • The Installation of brand New double panned windows on the Parish Office and Rectory building at the cost of $ 50,000.00. The Contractor for the job was John Alexander of the "Alexander Window Specialists Company'".

  • The inception of the New "All Souls PreSchool" on the Parish grounds. Presently the Preschool is located in the mobile or portable unit. The Preschool opened its doors on 22nd of October 2012.

  • The Convent Building has been renamed as "Annex" Building:

The Annex Building houses the following

  • The Music and Art Classes during the day (School regular hours) and

  • 'All Souls School Day care' in the afternoons.

2013

  • Brand New Restrooms in the All Souls School

    • Boys' Restrooms

    • Girls' Restrooms.

These Restrooms are fitted with 'Touchless' lighting, faucet, flushing systems. The cost of these restroom was $ 322,579.42.

It was paid for by the earnings and savings from the Bingo Operation of All Souls Church.

2014

  • Brand New Restrooms in the All Souls Parish Hall

    • Ladies' Rooms were extended to support serving four users at any given time.

    • Men's Rooms were extended to support serving three users at any given time.

    • A HandiCapped 'Uni-Sex' unit has been installed right at the main entrance of the Hall.

  • A concrete Handicapped Ramp: for wheel chair and handicapped access to the Parish Hall.

  • Four Handicapped Parking spaces designed for easy accessibility to the Church, School, Parish Office and Parish Hall for those using wheel chairs.

  • The cost of these restrooms, Handicapped Entrance ramp Parking Handicapped spaces was $ 205,292.96. This amount was paid from the savings and earnings of the Parish Festivals of All Souls Parish, South San Francisco. The contractor for this project was Peter Bach of the Bach Constructions.

So a word of thanks is due to all those who contributed towards the Parish Festivals, their time, treasure and tallent to make Parish festivals a success. Father Agnel De Heredia thanks all the Parishioners, and dedicates this long awaited project to Parish organizations: Our Lady of Fatima Prayer Group, Guadalupanos, Mensajeros de Cristo, Small Christian Communities, Pastoral Familiar, Marriage Enrichment, Juventud con Cristo, The Young Mens' Institute for the Festival dinners, Italian Catholic Federation (ICF) for preparing the auction prizes baskets, well wishers, supporters, generous donors, the Parents of the Student body of All Souls School, friends and visitors of All Souls Church.

Fr. Agnel takes this opportunity to thank personally Mrs. Marie Baldisserri and Ms. Janet Vergara for charing these Festivals for so many years with their sense of commitment and fun and laughter.

2015:

July 01, 2015

  • Rev. Agnel Jose De Heredia was transfered in the same capacity as Pastor to St. John the Evangelist Church in San Francisco.

  • Rev. Briccio R. Tamoro, SVD was appointed as the new Pastor of All Souls Church.

2018:

Oct. 28, 2018

Auxiliary Bishop Robert Christian OP installs Rev. Father Kazimierz Abrahamczyk SVD as Pastor of All Souls Church.

Rev. Father Mario Olea SVD completes four months as associate pastor.

 

 

Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!